- Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd has announced the launch of its benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) formulation, Flotral 10 mg or Alternative Tamsulosin formulation. It is a new uro-selective alpha1-blocker, prescription medicine that provides effective medical relief from signs and symptoms of BPH, a urological disorder.
- Flotral (alfuzosin), once a day medication, has been developed using the Novel Drug Delivery System (NDDS) technology platform, resulting in better patient compliance, the company said in a statement.
- It is a new, convenient and safe formulation. Extensive clinical studies demonstrate that alfuzosin is highly selective resulting in lower incidence of side effects such as postural hypotension and syncope.
- Alfuzosin also has a low risk of sexual side effects whereas erectile dysfunction (ED) and ejaculatory disorders are well-recognised side effects of other alpha-blockers.
- BPH, is caused due to enlargement of the prostate gland and commonly affects the ageing male population. Over 50% of men above the age of 60 and around 80% beyond the age of 80, suffer from BPH worldwide.
- If left untreated, BPH can lead to serious health problems, including urinary tract infections, bladder and kidney damage, bladder stones and inability to hold urine, it added.
- The launch of Flotral further expands Ranbaxy’s key strategic product portfolio and establishes the company’s commitment to build its urology franchise through its competitive edge technology of NDDS, Sanjeev I Dani, regional director-India, Ranbaxy, stated.
Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited, India’s largest Rx pharmaceutical company, manufactures and markets branded generic drugs and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. Ranbaxy’s continued focus on R&D has resulted in several approvals in developed markets and significant progress in New Drug Discovery Research.
Ranbaxy’s foray into Novel Medical Drug Delivery Systems has led to proprietary “platform technologies” resulting in a number of products under development. The Company is selling its products in over 100 countries andhas an expanding international portfolio of affiliates, joint ventures and alliances, ground operations in 34 countries and manufacturing operations in 7 countries.